Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Mac and Cheese!

Kay, if you know me, you know I love and live for Mac and Cheese. Well, any kind of comfort food really, but mac and cheese is almost my favorite. Ad, not so much for him. Well I made this recipe of Bobby Flay's, and my stallion said that it was his favorite meal of the month! And he would ask for it again. So, you know it treated him right. I made some minor adjustments to it, just used what I had, so it will work with different kinds or cheeses or pastas (Ad hates Elbows). I also couldn't find pancetta, so cooked up some bacon. Worth it, but not light on the cals. It's kinda saucy, but it helps the leftovers!! Here's the recipe.....

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 inch thick piece pancetta, cut into sm. dices
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tablspoons flour
6 - 7 cups whole milk, heated
4 lg. egg yolks, lightly whisked
2 teas. finely chopped fresh thyme, (I used dry)
1 teas. cayenne (if kids are eating it, go less)
2 cups grated Asiago cheese
1 1/2 cups white cheddar
1 1/2 cups Mountain Valley cheddar (I used sharp)
1 cup fontina cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- plus a little extra of what's left for the top
salt and pepper
1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked al dente
1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
Preheat oven to 350'. Butter the sides and bottom of a 3 quart baking dish.
-Heat oil in large saute pan over med. heat. Add the pancetta and cook until brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate lined w/ paper towels.
-Then add the garlic to pan and cook until lightly brown. Whisk in flour and cook 1-2 minutes. Whisk in 6 cups of the hot milk. Increase the heat to high and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened (3-5 minutes). Whisk in eggs until incorporated & let cook for 1-2 more minutes.
-Remove from heat, and whisk in thyme, cayenne, and all of the cheeses until completely melted. Season with salt and pepper. If the mixture is too thick, add some of the remaining milk, 1/4 c. at a time.
-Drain pasta and put back in pot. Add the cheese sauce, pancetta, and parsley. Stir well. Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Add rest of cheese on top. Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yummy!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I know you and didn't know you love mac n cheese!! Girl~ so do I!!! Seriously, LOVE it, and I'm always looking for a good recipe since Alan never really leaps for joy when I make it (sound familiar?) So I'm dying to give it a try! Thanks for sharing!!

Jenny Hilton said...

Looks and sounds delicious! I am a big fan of mac n cheese too! Just ask mind she thinks that is all I like. Why is it that us girls like mac n cheese but none of our men do? I guess men really aren't as cool as girls. We know how to enjoy the little things in life.

Ormeeheads said...

It sounds great! I doubt I will find all those cheeses here in small town america! But I'm gonna try.

Anonymous said...

I laugh at the picture of your delicious meal. It must be delicious if it is picture worthy! Fletch is a big fan of Mac n cheese so maybe I will try it! I told him about your post and he says he is jealous... you have always been one of his favorite chefs! Miss you lovely lady!

Unknown said...

That sounds good! Thanks for sharing!

By the way... totally love how the blog worked out. The changes are great! You are the woman!

I so can't wait to hang out tonight. You make me happy!

The Cain Family said...

I've been calling Mind the Betty Martha all these years. I think I got it wrong. You are the new damn Betty Martha! I checked out those old school pics Mind put up. I think I'm hormonal, I wanted to ball my eyes out. Since when are you the conservative one? Mind has the biggest boobies of all and thigh up to the sky. I'm somewhere in the middle and you look like you were forced into that beautiful dress. I miss those days lady! When can I see your face?

theSwensenFamily said...

You have no idea how long I have been searching for a good mac and cheese recipe! Finally! I'm a lover myself! This dish looks awesome! Marci, your hair cut is so cute and your boys are seriously all incredibly good-looking! Your blog is hilarious! I love the way you write! It cracks me up! I hope you guys make it back here to the Northwest! In the meantime, enjoy New York!